Anyone considering med school must be wondering how do I get in? Getting into med school is no easy task. This quick guide to med school will cover all of the do’s and don’ts on how to get into med school.
How To Get Into Med School: What Can I Do?
There are multiple factors that affect a potential candidate’s entry into their med school of choice. If you’re seriously interested in getting into med school, then you’ll have your work cut out for you but there’s no reason why all the preparation and planning you’ll do should be nothing short of a positive experience. Let’s cover 10 helpful hints on how to get into med school:
- How To Get Into Med School Tip #1: Start early. That’s right – the earlier you develop your interest in medicine, the more certain you may be that this is the right path for you. The more biology, chemistry and physics classes you have under your belt from high school to college, the more familiar with the subject matter you’ll be by the time you’re getting into med school.
- How To Get Into Med School Tip #2: Get good grades. Getting good grades not only means you’re smart and studious; it also reflects your interest in scientific subjects. Admission committees will look highly upon students with good grades.
- How To Get Into Med School Tip #3: Get involved. Volunteering at a hospital or job shadowing at a doctor’s office will help give you perspective on your daily work environment. Being apart of the community is an important part of being a doctor, and getting into med school.
- How To Get Into Med School Tip #4: Get to know your professors. Good relationships with your professors will be important down the line, since getting into med school requires good recommendation letters.
- How To Get Into Med School Tip #5: Ace the MCAT. Easier said than done, right? Have a game plan for the MCAT; prepare in advance, join study groups, get a good rest the night before and be sure you arrive to your testing location early.
- How To Get Into Med School Tip #6: Know your options. As you’re going through the process of getting into med school, you’ll start researching your top med school of choice and making a list of secondary choices. Do the research; know what the schools offer; consider the learning environment and tuition costs. You might even want to speak with the medical school advisors to get your foot in the door!
- How To Get Into Med School Tip #7: Dress professionally. You’re going to be a doctor. Dress accordingly for your med school interview. Cleanly groomed in a pressed suit with shined shoes will help you more than it will hurt you. Not sure how to prepare? Mock interviews can really help, and of course, arrive early to your interview. Print directions and check for traffic in advance.
- How To Get Into Med School Tip #8: Get a second opinion. Ask your other med school friends on their getting into med school interview advice. Ask your professors on areas where you can improve. Make sure you’re not missing any weak spots where you could improve upon.
- How To Get Into Med School Tip #9: Don’t be afraid to be you. If you’ve come this far in the getting into med school process, you’ll know by now that it’s extremely important to be yourself. Admission committees are fond of med school students that have other extracurricular activities as well; they may be not directly related such as sports, music or art.
- How To Get Into Med School #10: Apply early. If you’re set on getting into med school, you know your choice for top med school. Apply early. Don’t wait. Take care of all the related paperwork far in advance.
How To Get Into Med School: Need We Say More?
We’ve covered all the basics on how to get into med school. Getting into med school is a journey for each and every prospective med student. Consult your advisors if you’re still wondering how to get into med school and what you can do to improve your portfolio in front of the admissions committee.