Several factors are considered before compiling the list of the top 10 med schools in the US every year. These lists provide ammunition for debates among students, while also proving beneficial to those who are still looking to get into med school.
The List of the Top 10 Med Schools
According to the “U.S. News & World Report,” the top 10 med schools in the United States are:
- Harvard University – Boston, MA
- John Hopkins University – Baltimore, MD
- University of Pennsylvania – Philadelphia, PA
- Stanford University – Stanford, CA
- University of California-San Francisco – San Francisco, CA
- Washington University – St. Louis, MO
- Yale University – New Haven, CT
- Columbia University – New York City, NY
- Duke University – Durham, NC
- University of Chicago – Chicago, IL
How are the Top 10 Med Schools Selected?
Certain factors go into determining what the top 10 med schools in the US are every year. MCAT scores play a big role in separating the top 10 med schools. Undergraduate GPA, how many students get into med school, the university’s research activity, average student indebtedness and assessment scores from peers and faculty members all help rank the top 10 med schools.
Harvard Med School
Harvard med school annually ranks at or near the top of any list of the top 10 med schools. Not only did the Crimson capture the top spot in the “U.S. News & World Report” overall rankings, Harvard med school was voted to have the best programs for pediatrics as well as internal medicine.
While leading the list of top 10 med schools, Harvard med school is also near the top in total tuition costs. Even at just under $48,000 per year, Harvard med school is more affordable than Yale and Washington. If you want to get into med school, each and every potential student must at least consider the pros and cons of Harvard med school.